Water/Wastewater Plant Operator
|Starting Pay|| |
|Employment Status|| |
Under the direct supervision of the Water/Wastewater Plant Supervisor, will perform a variety of skilled, technical and administrative work of the operation. Operates, maintains, monitors controls and repairs all water/wastewater plant process equipment, including pumps, motors, blowers, chlorinators, chemical feeds, sludge equipment and basic laboratory equipment to ensure that treated water/wastewater meets Tribal, State and EPA quality standards.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
* Obtains water/wastewater samples and performs water lab tests; conducts various lab tests to determine proper process and operational controls.
* Recognizes the need for and makes basic treatment and operational changes to the water/wastewater processes and distribution systems to meet water quality standards.
* Changes pump settings as needed; monitors and adjusts flows through wells, booster pumps, treatment plant lift station and aeration tanks to control the distribution system and system operations.
* Reads and interprets meters, gauges and instruments. Enters daily readings into daily/monthly reports.
* Prepares and submits water/wastewater samples to certified testing lab for analysis and report to meet the required agency quality standards.
* Inventories, estimates usage and prepares orders for supplies. Insures quality of materials received.
* Records daily activities in logbook and stores in facility files.
* Maintains reports in facility records and sends to appropriate agencies.
* Maintains all water/wastewater equipment such as blowers, pumps, motors, chlorinators, filters, and all other equipment essential to the plant operations.
* Ensures proper care in the use of and maintenance of equipment and supplies.
* Promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
* Performs all other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Requires possession of an ADEQ or equivalent Grade 2 Water Treatment Plant Operator’s Certificate at the time of application and an ADEQ or equivalent Grade 1 Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator’s Certificate at the time of application. 2 years progressive experience in water/wastewater operation; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must have a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record and be insurable (for driving). Must be 18 years of age or older No felony, theft or stealing convictions. Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, background investigation, obtain and maintain a gaming license and to include the following:
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications:
* Familiar with a computerized Maintenance Management System.
* Knowledge of use of maintenance tools, chemicals, cleaners, and disinfectants.
* Knowledge of approved methods of water and/or wastewater testing and analysis.
* Knowledge of proper methods, materials and standards for the installation and testing of backflow prevention devices.
* Knowledge of occupational hazards and applicable safety practices.
* Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
* Ability to read, evaluate and interpret construction drawings and technical reports.
* Ability to maintain, repair and install motors and pumps.
* Ability to perform water and wastewater tests and analysis.
* Ability to interpret test results.
* Ability to prepare written reports.
* Ability to use hand and power tools.
* Ability to communicate, read, and write clearly in basic English.
* Ability to demonstrate outstanding guest service at all times.
* Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds and with co-workers at all levels.
* Ability to prioritize and accomplish tasks within strict deadlines.
* Ability to demonstrate excellence in everything, and continually seek improvement in results.
* Skills in the safe operation of power tools and shop equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The team member regularly is required to climb or balance; and talk or hear. The team member occasionally is required to sit; and taste or smell. The team member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors. Exposure to natural weather conditions and various dusts and mists may occur while performing outdoor duties. Exposure to chemicals and unpleasant odors. Standing and walking may be on uneven surfaces or unstable ground. Situations where safety-toe shoes, safety goggles, gloves, protective face shields, or hardhats are needed may occur. Some work may be performed in a casino setting with exposure to second-hand smoke and a high noise level. Evening, graveyard, holiday and/or weekend work may be required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.