Steward Supervisor (West Valley)
|Starting Pay|| |
|Employment Status|| |
Under direct supervision of the Executive Steward, Manages the kitchen stewarding operations and staff on assigned shift. Areas of responsibilities include dish room operations, night cleaning, receiving and storing orders, back dock cleaning and maintenance, banquet plating and food running. Works to continually improve guest and team member satisfaction while maximizing the financial performance in all areas of responsibility. Responsible for total maintenance and sanitation in all food production service areas; Ensure all food and beverage outlets have sufficient equipment to perform adequately. Responsible for guiding and developing staff including direct reports. Must ensure sanitation and health standards are achieved. Areas of responsibility comprise overseeing all stewarding and kitchen maintenance operations on assigned shift.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
* Ensures compliance with all Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise policies and procedures, including Internal Controls (ICs).
* Manages the stewarding function in all kitchen areas to promote overall cleanliness, sanitation and compliance with state and local health regulations. Stewarding functions include setting up work stations, cleanliness and storage of dishes, filling dish machines, ensuring correct chemical levels, maintaining efficient traffic patterns in kitchen, etc.
* Controls and analyzes cost, breakage, quality of support provided to all areas, condition and cleanliness of equipment, and guest satisfaction.
* Educates stewards on current safety and sanitation issues to ensure compliance with all health and safety regulations. Informs management of hazardous situations, emergencies or threats to the security of guests, employees or resort assets. Ensure that equipment is prepared and operational for the following shift’s work.
* Orders and manages the par stocks of all materials and equipment need for areas of responsibility.
* Alert Executive Steward of potentially serious issues.
* Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Warehouse supervisors, Restaurant chefs, F&B Mangers, & Bar Managers.
* May assist with other duties as needed which may include but is not limited to providing assistance with food dish-up, completing set up sheets, etc.
* Attend all necessary training meetings.
* Provides guidance and direction to stewarding team on assigned shift.
* Provides and supports on brand service behaviors that are prepared to wow for customer satisfaction and retention.
* Provides information to executive teams, managers and supervisors, team members, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
* Works to meet or exceed goals provided by Executive Steward including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
* Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
* Understands stewarding team members’ positions well enough to perform duties in team members' absence or determine appropriate replacement to fill gaps.
* Ensures team members are treated fairly and equitably.
* Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed in a timely manner.
* Ensures enterprise and department policies are administered fairly and consistently.
* Ensures compliance with all food handling and sanitation standards.
* Administers the performance appraisal process for direct report managers.
* Follows proper handling and temperature standards of all food products. Ensures employees maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
* Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
* Lead steward team members in the maintenance of kitchen equipment, sanitation, organization, and cleaning.
* Demonstrates new techniques and equipment to staff.
* Uses enterprise computer systems in daily operations to meet goals and maintain standards.
* Works with food and beverage managers & Chefs and keeps them informed of issues as they arise.
* Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
* Performs other duties as required.
* Demonstrate Desert Diamond Casino "On Brand" attitude towards team members & guest at all times.
* Displays, supports and reinforces Desert Diamond Casino’s Spirit of Service Standards.
* Model the company standards and lead by example.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or GED; plus two years’ experience in Stewarding in a large, multi-outlet, Casino, Hotel, or Resort; one year supervisory experience required; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Two year degree in culinary, hospitality, sanitation, or related field preferred. No felony, theft or stealing convictions. Must be 18 years of age or older. No felony, theft or stealing convictions. Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, background investigation, obtain and maintain a gaming license and to include the following:
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications:
* Skilled in managing a diverse and demanding multi-lingual workforce.
* Knowledge of maintenance and care of culinary facilities, equipment, supplies, and materials.
* Knowledge of FDA health Code and how to apply it in daily practice.
* Knowledge of cleaning and sanitation best practices for hotels and restaurants.
* Knowledge of scheduling techniques and ability to apply to control labor costs.
* Ability to obtain a Food Handlers card.
* Ability to obtain TIPS certification.
* Ability to maintain open and positive two way communication with food and beverage management and other departments.
* Ability to monitor and/or maintain quality control and safety standards.
* Ability to communicate effectively in the English language, both verbally and in writing with staff and the general public.
* Ability to work in a busy, fast paced work environment and to perform in a professional appearance and manner.
* Ability to work well under pressure, making decisions in high stress situations while maintaining a professional demeanor.
* Intermediate to advanced computer skills, good working knowledge of Microsoft office.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member regularly is required to stand for extended periods of time; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The team member occasionally is required to sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The team member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work is generally performed in the casino’s kitchen area with exposure to heat, fumes and steam and Casino setting with exposure to secondhand smoke and a high noise level. Evenings, graveyards, holidays and/or weekend work are required.
Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.