|Starting Pay|| |
|Employment Status|| |
Under direct supervision of the Executive Sous Chef, performs one-on-one training of line cooks. Assists in menu writing, costing, scheduling, and all other related duties as assigned.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teaches all kitchen employees the skills required of their specific position. Including but not limited to the use and care of the steel, the use of knives and other culinary tools. Keeps safety and sanitation uppermost in mind.
- Teaches the art of butchering, carving, and basic cooking fundamentals in each of the areas supervised.
- Supervises and prepares foods for the buffet, grill or for banquets as required by production sheets for the event(s).
- Informs wait staff of any food shortages well in advance of this occurrence. Finds a suitable substitute for the menu item if at all possible.
- Ensures that the proper amounts of food have been prepared for the Buffet in accordance with the production sheets.
- Supervises the replenishment of the Buffet so that guests will always find properly cooked food in sufficient quantity for their needs.
- Works on the service line of the Grill supervising and training all line cooks in the fundamentals of this line including but not limited to: portion control, plate appearance, and proper food preparation.
- Teaches all line cooks the importance of sanitation, cleaning, and safety. Ensures all employees to "clean as they go".
- Ensures the line cooks prepare a variety of foods in quantities according to the menu and number of patrons to be served.
- Directs activities to one or more workers assisting with preparing and serving meals.
- Works according to established procedures of the Casino.
- Maintains a good communication with co-workers and maintains a positive and professional work environment.
- Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
High School Degree or G.E.D, and two years experience as a Sous Chef, or five years in kitchen with 3 years of supervision experience; or equivalent combination of experience and education. Must be able to take an assessment test to determine skill level. Must be able to obtain Food handler card. Must be at least 18 years of age. No felony, theft or stealing convictions. Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, background investigation, obtain and maintain gaming license and to include the following:
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications:
- Knowledge of food preparation methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of operation of food preparation equipment and machinery.
- Knowledge of operation of holding ovens and baking ovens.
- Skill in managing assigned staff.
- Ability to communicate, read, and write clearly in basic English.
- Ability to demonstrate outstanding guest service at all times.
- Ability to work in a busy, fast paced work environment and to perform in a professional appearance and manner.
- Ability to withstand extreme temperatures.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Skill in supervising assigned staff.
- Skill in the use of computers preferably in a PC, Windows-based operating environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly is required to stand for extended periods of time; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee occasionally is required to sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work is generally performed in the Casino’s kitchen area with exposure to heat, fumes and steam. Evening and/or weekend work are required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.