Sous Chef (West Valley)
|Starting Pay|| |
|Employment Status|| |
Under direct supervision of the Restaurant Chef, Restaurant Chef (Steakhouse), Restaurant Chef (Italian Bistro), Food Court Kitchen Manager (based on assigned venue), performs one-on-one training of line cooks. Assists in menu writing, costing, scheduling, and all other related duties as assigned. Must have extensive knowledge of Title 4 (Arizona liquor law). Works efficiently in a team based environment and must follow Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise (TOGE) alcohol training as well as all TOGE internal controls, consistently.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
* Ensures compliance with all Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise policies and procedures, including Internal Controls (ICs).
* Maintains knowledge of the laws and regulations governing Food & Beverage. Ensures that Tribal, City, State and Federal Health/Food Safety codes are upheld.
* Serves alcohol and non-alcoholic beverages to casino guests and ensures that legal drinking age are followed and complies with all Title 4 (Arizona liquor law) and TOGE alcohol controls.
* Adheres to all Title 4 (Arizona liquor law) and TOGE internal controls.
* Teaches all kitchen team members the skills required of their specific position. Including but not limited to the use and care of the steel, the use of knives and other culinary tools. Keeps safety and sanitation uppermost in mind.
* Teaches the art of butchering, carving, and basic cooking fundamentals in each of the areas supervised.
* Supervises and prepares foods as required by production sheets for the event(s).
* Informs wait staff of any food shortages well in advance of this occurrence. Finds a suitable substitute for the menu item if at all possible.
* Ensures that the proper amounts of food have been prepared in accordance with the production sheets.
* Works on the service line supervising and training all line cooks in the fundamentals of the line including but not limited to: portion control, plate appearance, and proper food preparation.
* Teaches all line cooks the importance of sanitation, cleaning, and safety. Ensures all team members to "clean as they go".
* Ensures the line cooks prepare a variety of foods in quantities according to the menu and number of patrons to be served.
* Directs activities to one or more workers assisting with preparing and serving meals.
* Works according to established procedures of the casino.
* Maintains a good communication with co-workers and maintains a positive and professional work environment.
* Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as required.
* Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
High School Degree or GED plus 2 years experience as a Sous Chef, or 5 years in kitchen with 3 years of supervision experience; or equivalent combination of experience and education. Must be at least 18 years of age or older. No felony, theft or stealing convictions. Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, background investigation, obtain and maintain a gaming license and to include the following:
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications:
* Must be able to take an assessment test to determine skill level.
* Knowledge of food preparation methods and techniques.
* Knowledge of operation of food preparation equipment and machinery.
* Knowledge of operation of holding ovens and baking ovens.
* Skill in managing assigned staff.
* Ability to obtain a Food Handlers card.
* Ability to obtain TIPS certification.
* Ability to communicate, read, and write clearly in basic English.
* Ability to demonstrate outstanding guest service at all times.
* Ability to work in a busy, fast paced work environment and to perform in a professional appearance and manner.
* Ability to withstand extreme temperatures.
* Ability to work well under pressure.
* Skill in supervising assigned staff.
* Skill in the use of computers preferably in a PC, Windows-based operating environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member regularly is required to stand for extended periods of time; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The team member occasionally is required to sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The team member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work is generally performed in the casino’s kitchen area with exposure to heat, fumes steam, second-hand smoke and a high noise level. Evening, graveyard, holiday and/or weekend work may be required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required