Senior Internal Auditor (West Valley)
|Starting Pay|| |
|Employment Status|| |
Under general supervision of the Internal Audit Manager, assists in the supervision and coaching of the audit staff at West Valley. Leads the audit staff in the planning, fieldwork, and reporting of the audits as assigned to ensure the gaming operation is in compliance with the NIGC and Tribal Gaming Office Minimum Internal Control Standards, the Enterprises’ Internal Controls and other regulatory requirements. Performs other related work as assigned.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
* Ensures compliance with all Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise policies and procedures, including Internal Controls (ICs).
* Assists in the evaluation of risks, planning audits, evaluating current and developing new audit programs and checklists.
* Supervises and coaches audit staff at the West Valley location in the performance of assigned audits and timely follow-up on responses to audit findings.
* Compare elements of the Internal Control System to Gaming Office Minimum Internal Control Standards and other regulatory requirements.
* Analyze complex procedures, transactions and data, observe transactions and activities, interview gaming operation personnel, review and test documentation, and document in detail work performed through electronic workpaper practices in a neat and organized manner.
* Identifies weaknesses in Internal Controls, areas for process improvement and opportunities for cost savings or process improvements and suggest recommendations for improvements.
* Provides critical reviews and edits to staff workpapers, draft audit findings and other correspondences to ensure clarity, conciseness, and comprehensibility.
* Prepares audit reports in good form, with recommendations, appraisals, or analyses that will assist the T.O.G.E managers with the proper discharge of their responsibilities.
* Provide regular updates to the Internal Audit Manager on status of audits.
* Assists in other audit and department administrative responsibilities.
* Assists in the coordinating and facilitating external audits and regulatory examinations.
* Attends audit training as required to maintain/improve audit skills and practices.
Education and Experience:
A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required. One of the following: Certified Public Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Fraud Examiner, Master’s Degree in Accounting or Business Administration; or the ability to obtain within one (1) year. Minimum of two (2) years of supervisory experience required. Minimum of two (2) years of experience in internal or external auditing in accordance with the IPPF (IIA Standards) required. Experience in the gaming industry is preferred. Must be 18 years of age or older. No felony, theft or stealing convictions. Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, background investigation, obtain and maintain a gaming license and to include the following:
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills:
* Ability to demonstrate proficiency in the application of internal auditing theory, standards, procedures and techniques as applied to the gaming industry.
* Excellent planning and administrative skills. Ability to plan, organize, prioritize and be responsible for completion of a variety of audit assignments.
* Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate well and effectively interact with management and employees at various levels and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with regulatory agencies, casino management, and co-workers.
* Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to work with mathematical concepts relating to auditing and financial analysis. Skill in analyzing detailed computerized reports for accuracy and compliance.
* Skill in reviewing and evaluating policies and procedures for compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations.
* Knowledge of Federal, State and Gaming Office laws, rules, regulations, and procedures related to gaming.
* Skill in working with computerized auditing (TeamMate)/accounting (PeopleSoft) software and Microsoft Office products.
* Skill in preparing detailed audit workpapers in support of audit work performed in a neat and organized manner.
* Must have a high degree of professionalism and tact. Skill in tactfully presenting audit findings and explaining opportunities for improvement in the internal control system.
* Knowledge of recordkeeping and file maintenance practices and procedures.
* Knowledge of Native American culture preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly is required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee occasionally is required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
Evening, graveyard, holiday and/or weekend work may be required.
Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.
Work is generally performed in an office setting with a moderate noise level.
Some work is performed in a Casino setting with exposure to second-hand smoke and a high noise level. Works with confidential, sensitive and/or proprietary information. Travel less than 25%.