Risk Safety and Workers Compensation Manager
|Starting Pay|| |
|Employment Status|| |
Under direct supervision of the Security Director, responsible for the administration of the risk and safety and the workers compensation programs for the Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise (TOGE). Directs, manages, supervises, and coordinates the activities and operations of the Risk and Safety Division within the Security Department including safety, loss control, and property/liability claims programs; coordinates assigned activities with other divisions, departments, and outside agencies. Is also responsible for the annual renewal of the Enterprise’s insurance policies pertaining to liability and workers compensation insurance; and provides highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Security Director.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
* Responsible for developing, implementing, and managing a property-wide risk control/safety program that will reduce loss through accident prevention/ reduction methods, accident investigation and inspection.
* Assumes management responsibility for assigned services and activities of the Risk and Safety Division including the Enterprise’s insurance, safety, loss control, and property/liability claims programs; ensures the protection of the people, property, and resources of the Enterprise from identifiable and controllable risk of loss.
* Manages and participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned programs; recommends and administers policies and procedures.
* Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; recommends, within departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels.
* Plans, directs, coordinates, and reviews the work plan for assigned staff; assigns work activities, projects, and programs; reviews and evaluates work products, methods, and procedures; meets with staff to identify and resolve problems.
* Selects, trains, motivates, and evaluates assigned personnel; provides and/or coordinates staff training; works with team members to correct deficiencies; implements discipline and termination procedures.
* Oversees and participates in the development and administration of the Risk and Safety Division’s annual budget; participates in the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitors and approves expenditures; implements adjustments.
* Oversees and administers all insurance issues for the Enterprise; selects and works with outside contractors and brokers; reviews, modifies, and negotiates insurance agreements; oversees and maintains all certificates of insurance for the Enterprise.
* Oversees and participates in performing market cost/benefit analysis; prepares and reviews request for proposals (RFPs), bid specifications and agreements; completes and reviews all insurance and risk management questionnaires.
* Oversees and coordinates safety program activities; ensures compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and related local, state, and federal regulations; conducts safety inspections; responds to complaints of safety hazards; oversees and/or conducts safety training and committees; reviews and updates all OSHA related programs and policies as necessary.
* Works with the General Counsel to manage all claims against the Enterprise including property, liability and vehicle accident claims; assists the General Counsel in investigating claims as needed; processes and adjusts claims; oversees the claims management software database; produces and runs reports for other departments and outside agencies as necessary.
* Oversees all internal and external Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) issues and programs for the Enterprise; monitors and plans for compliance with all existing and new laws; works with other departments to create and update Enterprise policies related to ADA.
* Administers loss prevention programs and addresses problem areas for both workers’ compensation and general liability; monitors programs for compliance with existing and new laws; analyzes and reviews policies and programs and coordinates changes with Human Resources and General Counsel.
* Oversees administration of Enterprise wide training programs to minimize losses resulting from accidents, natural causes, regulatory non-compliance, and legal insurance claims against the Enterprise; oversees and maintains database for related training needs.
* Oversees, reviews, and maintains the Injury and Illness Prevention Program (IIPP) for the Enterprise; investigates and analyzes incident reports and complaints involving work-related injuries and illness; prepares reports noting hazards, violations, and accidents; recommends measures to prevent recurrence.
* Provides responsible staff assistance to the Human Resources Director; conducts a variety of organizational investigations, and operational studies; recommends modifications to risk and safety programs, policies, and procedures as appropriate.
* Serves as the liaison for the Risk and Safety Division to other divisions, departments, and outside agencies; assists Enterprise departments with risk management issues and agreements.
* Prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
* Attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of Risk Management and Safety.
* Responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive team member and/or management inquiries and concerns related to risk and safety.
* Will facilitate all emergency and response plans for the TOGE and will serve as the Incident Commander during emergency situations when directed.
* Responsible for updating, implementing and training of the Emergency Operations Plan.
* Directs and manages the Safety Committee.
* Performs related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
A Bachelor’s degree with major course work in risk management, safety, business administration, public administration, or a related field plus 7 years of increasingly responsible risk management or safety experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience in Emergency Management is preferred but not required. Relevant and direct experience may be considered in lieu of degree requirement. Must possess a valid driver’s license. Two years of administrative and supervisory responsibility preferred. No felony, theft or stealing convictions. Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, background investigation, obtain and maintain a gaming license and to include the following:
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications:
* Technical proficiency on Word, Excel, PowerPoint, CMS.
* Must possess and be able to practice outstanding guest service skills at all times.
* Must demonstrate professionalism and maintain confidentiality at all times.
* Operational characteristics, services, and activities of a comprehensive risk management and safety program.
* Principles, practices and terminology of occupational medicine, safety, and OSHA laws and regulations.
* Principles and practices of loss reduction and loss control.
* Insurance principles, practices, and terminology.
* Municipal claims management, claims adjustments, and subrogation.
* Recent developments, current literature and information related to risk management administration.
* Principles and practices of customer service.
* Research techniques, methods, and procedures.
* Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
* Principles and practices of program development and administration.
* Principles and practices of municipal budget preparation and administration.
* Principles of supervision, training, and performance evaluation.
* Pertinent federal, state, and tribal laws, codes, and regulations.
* Researches, analyzes, and evaluates new service delivery methods and techniques.
* Manages confidential medical records and documents.
* Collects, compiles, researches, and analyzes information and data.
* Evaluates and analyzes risk management issues to take corrective action.
* Plans and organizes work to meet changing priorities and deadlines.
* Remains calm and thinks clearly through real time emergency situations.
* Prepares and administers large program budgets.
* Prepares clear and concise administrative and financial reports.
* Analyzes problems, identifies alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implements recommendations in support of goals.
* Works independently or as part of a team.
* Demonstrates an awareness and appreciation of the cultural diversity of the Enterprise.
* Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
* Strong organizational, analytical and communication skills, both verbal and written.
* Ability to handle multiple tasks and work a flexible schedule as needed.
* Ability to work with all levels of team members.
* Detail oriented and can teach/train/facilitate.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member regularly is required to stand for extended periods; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The team member frequently is required to walk. The team member occasionally is required to sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The team member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Work may be performed in a casino setting with exposure to second-hand smoke and a high noise level. Evening, graveyard, holiday and/or weekend work may be required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.