Lead Kitchen Steward
|Starting Pay|| |
|Employment Status|| |
Under direct supervision of the Room Chef and F&B Back of the House Intern, leads the kitchen stewarding operations and staff. Areas of responsibilities include dish room operations of the main kitchen, all venues, bake shop, & employee dining room, cleaning and maintenance, banquet plating and food running. Works to continually improve guest and team member satisfaction while managing team schedules and contributing to the overall performance of all assigned areas. Responsible for cleanliness and sanitation in all food production service areas; Ensure all food and beverage outlets have sufficient equipment to perform adequately. Responsible for guiding and leading stewarding staff. Must ensure sanitation and health standards are achieved. Area of responsibility includes: overseeing all stewarding and kitchen maintenance operations on assigned shift and in assigned venue.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
* Ensures compliance with all Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise (TOGE) policies and procedures, including Internal Controls (ICs)
* Leads the stewarding functions in all kitchen areas to promote overall cleanliness, sanitation and compliance with state and local health regulations by setting up work stations, cleaning and storing dishes, filling dish machines, ensuring correct chemical levels, organizing cooler and freezers, transporting food product and equipment between kitchen areas, maintaining efficient traffic patterns in kitchen, etc.
* Trains Kitchen Stewards on current safety and sanitation issues to ensure compliance with all health and safety regulations; informs management of hazardous situations, emergencies or threats to the security of guests, team members or Enterprise assets.
* Ensures kitchen equipment is prepared and operational for the following shift’s work
* Coordinates preventive maintenance and repairs of kitchen equipment with Room Chef and F&B Back of the House Intern as needed
* Communicates needs to supervisors to maintain the par stocks of all materials and equipment needed for areas of responsibility
* Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with Food & Beverage Leadership and other departments such as Warehouse/ Receiving Team Members.
* May assist with other duties as needed which may include but is not limited to food dish-up, completing set ups, etc.
* Attends all necessary training meetings
* Provides coaching, guidance and direction to Kitchen Stewards on daily tasks, weekly/ monthly deep cleaning schedules, and performance standards; then monitors performance
* Provides and supports on brand service behaviors to ensure guest satisfaction and retention
* Provides information to subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person
* Works to meet or exceed goals provided by Room Chef and F&B Back of the House Intern including performance and team goals
* Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members
* Understands Kitchen Steward positions well enough to perform duties in team members' absence or determine appropriate replacements to fill gaps
* Ensures team members are treated fairly and equitably
* Ensures compliance with all food handling and sanitation standards
* Follows proper handling and temperature standards of all food products
* Improves service by communicating and assisting team members to understand guest needs by providing guidance, feedback, and hands-on support
* Leads and trains Kitchen Stewards in the maintenance of kitchen equipment, sanitation, organization, and cleaning
* Demonstrates new techniques and equipment to team members
* Demonstrate Desert Diamond Casino "On Brand" attitude towards team members & guests at all times
* Displays, supports and reinforces Desert Diamond Casino’s Spirit of Service Standards
* Models Enterprise standards and leads by example
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or GED; plus three (3) years Steward/ Kitchen experience. Experience in a large, multi-outlet, casino, hotel, or resort is preferred. No felony, theft or stealing convictions. Must be 18 years of age or older. No felony, theft or stealing convictions. Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen and background investigation and obtain and maintain a gaming license and to include the following:
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications:
* Skill in leading a diverse and demanding multi-lingual workforce
* Knowledge of maintenance and care of culinary facilities, equipment, supplies, and materials
* Knowledge of FDA health code and how to apply it in daily practice
* Knowledge of cleaning and sanitation best practices for hotels and restaurants
* Knowledge of scheduling techniques and ability to apply to control labor costs
* Ability to obtain a Food Handlers card
* Ability to obtain TIPS certification
* Ability to oversee and provide leadership and direction to multiple venues with an array of styles and requirements
* Ability to maintain open and positive two way communication with Food & Beverage Leadership and other departments
* Ability to monitor and/or maintain quality control and safety standards
* Ability to communicate effectively in the English language, both verbally and in writing with team members and guests
* Ability to work in a busy, fast paced work environment and to perform in a professional appearance and manner
* Ability to work well under pressure, making decisions in high stress situations while maintaining a professional demeanor
* Basic computer skills; including a good working knowledge of Microsoft office
While performing the duties of this job, the team member regularly is required to stand for extended periods of time; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The team member occasionally is required to sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The team member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work is generally performed in the casino’s kitchen area with exposure to heat, fumes, steam, secondhand smoke and a high noise level. Evenings, graveyards, holidays and/or weekend work are required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may also