Human Resources Director (West Valley)
|Starting Pay|| |
|Employment Status|| |
Under the general supervision of the Chief Human Resources Officer, works to accomplish the Human Resources Office’s strategic objectives by planning, organizing, and supervising all functions required to effectively operate and maintain departmental services and initiatives. The Human Resources Director will ensure that all talent acquisition, employment, compensation, benefits, record-keeping systems, human relations, human resources policies, organizational development, tribal development, tribal talent acquisition, retention, learning and development and performance management programs are in alignment with Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise’s vision, mission, and values, and are maintained in accordance with established laws, regulations, policies, and procedures. Maintains confidentiality of all privileged information.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
o Develops a strategic plan for all Human Resources functions, including talent acquisition, employment, human relations, compensation, organizational development, tribal development, tribal talent acquisition, retention, learning and development, benefits, personnel records, information systems, and performance management programs.
o Establishes, implements, and communicates Human Resources goals, objectives, policies and procedures, ensuring their alignment with the Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise’s vision, mission, values, and strategic plan.
o Oversees the monitoring of compilation and analysis of team member data and records.
o Ensures compliance with all Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise policies and procedures, including Internal Controls (ICs).
o Ensures that data is audited to ensure accuracy; implements corrective action where necessary.
o Provides Human Resources consultation and training for all departments regarding talent acquisition, employment, compensation, organizational development, tribal development, tribal talent acquisition, retention, learning and development, benefits, record-keeping systems, performance management programs, and other related Human Resources functions.
o Selects and coordinates the use of Human Resources consultants, training specialists, and other outside advisors.
o Informs senior and departmental leadership on initiative milestones, project updates, and other significant events and challenges with ongoing follow-up and collaboration.
o Reviews and oversees the updating of Human Resources forms and documents, as necessary.
o Achieves financial objectives by preparing and overseeing the annual budget, inclusive of operational plans and objectives, recommending staffing and expenditures.
o Oversees the development, updating, and implementation of Human Resources policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
o Oversees the interpretation of, and adherence to, all Human Resources policies and procedures.
o Oversees talent acquisition, selection, and termination of team members.
o Coordinates with departments on succession planning.
o Organizes, implements, and maintains team member recognition program.
o Responsible for the development, implementation, and maintenance of a salary administration plan, which includes compensation, job classification, pay policies, and performance appraisal programs.
* Employee Relations
o Provides guidance and counseling to the leadership team regarding human relations.
o Investigates, or oversees the investigation of, team member complaints and the administration of the team member grievance process.
o Selects and coordinates the benefits plans, the use of benefit plan insurance brokers, benefit plan insurance carriers, 401(k) administrators in conjunction with the Plan Administrative Committee, and other benefits consultants.
o Recommends new benefit options/plans and revisions to current options/plans.
o Participates as an active member of the 401(k) Plan Administrative Committee.
* Organizational Development
o Develops or recommends, and implements, management and leadership development programs.
o Oversees the Learning and Development function, its strategies and training offerings, to ensure the curriculum, program, and activities meet the Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise’s strategic objectives.
o Develops and monitors all Tribal development and mentorship initiatives and programs.
o Oversees the Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise’s internal (team member) communications efforts.
o Oversees the Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise’s Guest Service Program initiatives and staff.
o Plans, develops, and provides assessment tools, surveys, and analyses that enhance the overall effectiveness of the Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise.
o Ensures confidentiality of all team member records, investigations, and other information.
o Improves staff effectiveness by coaching, counseling, training, and recommending disciplinary action for team members; plans, delegates, monitors, and appraises job tasks and results in a timely manner.
o Utilizes applicable experience leading teams in support of projects, matrix partners, contractors, etc.
o Hosts regular staff meetings to ensure communication among personnel regarding program-related activities.
o Coordinates the technology needs of the office in conjunction with the IT Department; recommends purchases of hardware and software to the IT Department; ensures staff is fully trained on systems, policies and procedures.
o Represents the department and the Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise to external agencies, consultants, and other organizations and individuals.
o Contributes to departmental effectiveness by identifying short-term and long-range issues and goals that must be addressed, providing information and commentary pertinent to deliberations and recommends options and courses of actions.
o Maintains professional and technical knowledge by conducting research, attending seminars, educational workshops, classes and conferences, reviewing professional publications, establishing networks, participating in professional societies, and conferring with representatives of contracting agencies and related organizations.
o Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as required.
o Exercises thorough knowledge of human resources practices including organizational design, talent management, and culture/change management.
o Applies specialized training in employment law, compensation, organizational planning and development, employee relations, or training.
o Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience
Bachelor degree required in Human Resources or related field plus 10 years Human Resources experience with having been in a Human Resources Director role for a minimum of 5 years at a property with 1200+ team members. Gaming experience required. Human Resources senior level leadership experience at a Tribal Casino/Resort; Multi-property/multi-outlet high volume operation experience; and Human Resources certification/s preferred. No felony, theft or stealing convictions. Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, background investigation, obtain and maintain a gaming license; and including the following:
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications
* Must be detail-orientated with a high level of accuracy.
* Must have strong recruitment experience including working with local community organizations to fill open positions.
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization and the public.
* Excellent organizational skills, ability to organize and prioritize project deadlines.
* Demonstrated ability to use sound judgment in decision-making.
* Knowledge of applicable federal, state, county and local laws, regulations, and requirements.
* Knowledge of principles, practices and trends in recruitment and employment; compensation and benefits; record-keeping systems; and performance development and evaluation systems.
* Knowledge of effective principles and practices of education and development.
* Overall general knowledge of standard gaming internal controls.
* Knowledge of business English, proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, and basic arithmetic.
* Ability to communicate effectively in the English language both verbally and in writing with staff and the general public.
* Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds and with team members at all levels.
* Ability to work effectively with individuals and demonstrate leadership and team-building skills with empathy and enthusiasm.
* Ability to lead and mentor a team.
* Ability to successfully manage the day-to-day tactical requirements of a service-oriented Human Resources team in a high-growth environment.
* Ability to create and present effective speeches and presentations.
* Ability to analyze situations and adopt appropriate courses of action.
* Ability to work independently and meet strict time lines.
* Ability to make solid decisions and exercise independent judgment.
* Ability to be persuasive and tactful in controversial situations.
* Ability to continually seek improvement in results.
* Ability to interpret applicable federal, state, county, and local laws, regulations, and requirements.
* Skill in operating business computers and office machines, including in a Windows environment, specifically Word, Excel, Access, and presentation software (such as PowerPoint).
* Skill in coaching and consulting management and executive level team members.
* Skill in budget preparation and administration.
* Skill in preparing, reviewing, and analyzing operational and financial reports.
* Skill in providing leadership to, supervising, training, and evaluating assigned staff.
* Skill in analyzing problems, projecting consequences, identifying solutions, and implementing recommendations.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member regularly is required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The team member frequently is required to walk. The team member occasionally is required to stand; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The team member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Work is generally performed in an office and casino setting with exposure to second-hand smoke and a moderate to high noise level. Evening, graveyard, holiday and/or weekend work may be required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.