Furniture Upholster Intern
|Starting Pay|| |
|Employment Status|| |
Under direct supervision of a Project Supervisor acquires knowledge and skills of furniture upholstery to obtain minimum requirements for a Furniture Upholster position. Actively participates in the Tribal Development Program. The position is an opportunity to learn knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with maintaining, reupholstering and repairing furniture in Native American gaming and offers on-the-job training.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
* The Intern will be required to achieve proficiency in the skills associated with:
o Refinishing, restoring and maintaining upkeep of furniture and related equipment.
o General reconditioning, touch-up, inspection and repair of chairs, tables and other general furniture items within the casinos and office space.
o Repairing cigarette burns, broken frames, small holes and normal wear and tear.
o Reupholstering furniture and tables.
o Refelting poker and blackjack tables.
o Designing and fabricating covers for furniture and equipment.
o Matching of fabric colors; replacement of dust cover and parts of upholstery, outside and inside of back panels.
o Replacement of worn out padding areas and springs.
o Ordering of materials, maintenance of adequate shop stock materials and accurate record keeping of materials and repair activities.
* Works together with Tribal Development on creating long-range training goals and objectives to help increase job knowledge.
* Maintains good communication with co-workers and maintains a positive and professional work environment.
* Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as required.
* Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or GED. Must be an enrolled Tohono O’odham tribal member. Must be 18 years of age or older. Must have a valid Driver’s License with a clean driving record and be insurable (for driving). No felony, theft or stealing convictions. Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, background investigation, obtain and maintain a gaming license and to include the following:
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications:
* Knowledge of computers.
* Ability to learn from other professionals and hands on experience.
* Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds and with co-workers at all levels.
* Ability to represent the organization in a professional manner, building respect and confidence.
* Ability to operate sewing machines of all types, control air compressors, use manual tools, operate power tools, operate steamers and foam trimmers, use of a variety of upholstery tools.
* Ability to work safely with cleaning agents.
* Ability to communicate, read, and write clearly in basic English.
* Ability to carry out instructions furnished in verbal or written format.
* Ability to work in a cooperative work environment.
* Ability to demonstrate outstanding guest service at all times.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The team member regularly is required to climb or balance; and talk or hear. The team member occasionally is required to sit; and taste or smell. The team member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors. Exposure to natural weather conditions and various dusts and mists may occur while performing outdoor duties. Exposure to chemicals may occur. Standing and walking may be on uneven surfaces or unstable ground. Situations where safety-toe shoes, safety goggles, gloves, protective face shields, or hardhats are needed may occur. Some work is performed in a casino setting with exposure to second-hand smoke and a high noise level. Evening, graveyard, holiday and/or weekend work may be required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.