Executive Sous Chef
|Pay Rate|| |
|Employment Status|| |
Under direct supervision of the Executive Chef exhibits culinary talents by personally performing tasks while assisting in leading the staff and managing all food related functions. Works to continually improve guest and team member satisfaction while maximizing the financial performance in all areas of responsibility. Assists in supervising all kitchen areas to ensure that a consistent, high quality product is produced. Responsible for guiding and developing staff including direct reports. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved. Areas of responsibility comprise overseeing all food preparation, food service and support areas as applicable.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
* Preps meat and assists in ensuring all outlets open on time.
* Provides guidance and direction to Sous and Room Chefs, including setting goals, performance standards and monitoring performance.
* Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
* Establishes goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
* Takes the lead in the menu development process for all assigned venues. Ensures items are flavorful, well presented, and cost effective.
* Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
* Ensures enterprise and department policies are administered fairly and consistently.
* Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring that quality standards and expectations of the customers are met or exceeded on a daily basis.
* Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
* Understands team members’ positions well enough to perform duties in team members' absence or determine appropriate replacement to fill gaps.
* Works with Human Resources Department to fill open positions.
* Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
* Ensures team members are treated fairly and equitably.
* Manages team member progressive discipline procedures for areas of responsibility.
* Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed in a timely manner.
* Administers the performance appraisal process for direct report managers.
* Ensures compliance with all food handling and sanitation standards.
* Follows proper handling and temperature standards of all food products. Ensures team members maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
* Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or internal functions.
* Provides and supports on brand service behaviors that are prepared to wow for customer satisfaction and retention.
* Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
* Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
* Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
* Trains kitchen team members on the fundamentals of good cooking and excellent plate presentations.
* Demonstrates new cooking techniques and equipment to staff.
* Interacts with the banquet and catering department on training regarding food knowledge and menu composition and pricing.
* Observes service behaviors of team members and provides feedback to individuals and or managers.
* Uses enterprise computer systems in daily operations to meet goals and maintain standards.
Provides information to executive teams, managers and supervisors, team members, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
* Works with food and beverage managers and keep them informed of issues as they arise.
* Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
* Manages department controllable expenses including food cost, supplies, uniforms and equipment.
* Participates in the budgeting process for areas of responsibility.
* Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or GED required, culinary degree preferred. Eight years experience in all areas of kitchen including, but not limited to fine dining, buffets, bulk production, purchasing, training, menu development, and administration. Experience must include five years as a Sous Chef or two years as Executive Sous Chef/ Chef de Cuisine in a high volume multi-outlet food and beverage operation. Culinary education may be substituted for up to two years of general culinary experience. Must be at least 18 years of age or older. No felony, theft or stealing convictions. Must be able to obtain food handler card. Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, background investigation, obtain and maintain gaming license and to include the following:
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications:
* Ability to provide leadership and direction to multiple venues with an array of styles and requirements.
* Skilled in managing a diverse and demanding multi-lingual workforce.
* Knowledge of maintenance and care of culinary facilities, equipment, supplies, and materials.
* Knowledge of scheduling techniques and ability to apply them across multiple venues to control labor costs.
* Skilled at food presentation and decorative food displays.
* Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
* Advanced knowledge of food preparation and presentation methods, techniques, and quality standards.
* Knowledge of cost controls in food and labor, and ability to apply them in daily practice.
* Ability to oversee, mentor and develop chefs in a variety of venues.
* Ability to develop menus that are flavorful, well presented, and cost effective, utilizing a variety of cuisines and techniques.
* Ability to create menus to match themes and guest special requests.
* Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
* Ability to lead and train team members at all levels.
* Ability to understand and interpret profit and loss statements.
* Ability to maintain open and positive two way communication with food and beverage management and other departments.
* Ability to conduct effective interviews and work within established procedures to hire and retain staff.
* Ability to interact with vendors and suppliers, and in conjunction with purchasing to source the best possible product at the best prices for all aspects of food and beverage operations.
* Ability to monitor and/or maintain quality control and safety standards.
* Ability to communicate effectively in the English language, both verbally and in writing with staff and the general public.
* Ability to work in a busy, fast paced work environment and to perform in a professional appearance and manner.
* Ability to work well under pressure, making decisions in high stress situations while maintaining a professional demeanor.
* Intermediate to advanced computer skills, good working knowledge of Microsoft office.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member regularly is required to stand for extended periods of time; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The team member occasionally is required to sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The team member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work is generally performed in the Casino’s kitchen area with exposure to heat, fumes and steam and Casino setting with exposure to secondhand smoke and a high noise level. Evening, graveyard, holiday and/or weekend work are required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.