|Starting Pay|| |
|Employment Status|| |
Under direct supervision of the Food & Beverage Director, exhibits culinary talents by providing vision, personally performing tasks, leading and managing the staff in all food related functions. Works to continually improve guest and team members’ satisfaction while maximizing the financial performance in all areas of responsibility. Supervises food preparation and presentation to ensure quality and consistency. Maintains extensive knowledge on menu development and completion. Responsible for guiding and developing staff including direct reports. Maintains a hygiene level above that required by the local health department and ensures that food sanitation, safety and proper food handling functions are practiced on a daily basis. Areas of responsibility comprise overseeing all food preparation, food service and support areas as applicable. Works efficiently in a team based environment and must follow Title 4 (Arizona liquor law), and Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise (TOGE) alcohol training as well as all TOGE internal controls, consistently.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
* Provides guidance and direction to Executive Sous and Sous Chefs, including setting goals, performance standards and monitoring performance.
* Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty and integrity; leads by example.
* Establishes goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
* Initiates and provides the vision for the menu development process for all assigned venues. Ensures items are flavorful, well presented, and cost effective.
* Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
* Knowledge of the laws and regulations governing Food & Beverage. Ensures that all Tribal, City, State and Federal Health/Food Safety codes are upheld.
* Responsible for maintaining a clean, organized and sanitized work area all while following all TOGE, tribal, City, State and Federal health/food safety regulations and codes.
* Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring that quality standards and expectations of the guests are met or exceeded on a daily basis.
* Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
* Understands team members’ positions well enough to perform duties in team members’ absence or determine appropriate replacement to fill gaps.
* Works with Human Resources to fill open positions.
* Identifies the developmental needs of staff members and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping team members to improve their knowledge or skills.
* Manages team member progressive discipline procedures for areas of responsibility.
* Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed in a timely manner.
* Ensures enterprise and department policies are administrated fairly and consistently.
* Ensures team members are treated fairly and equitably.
* Ensures compliance with all food handling and sanitation standards.
* Ensures team members maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
* Administers the performance appraisal process for direct report managers.
* Follows proper handling and temperature standards of all food products.
* Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or internal functions.
* Provides and supports on brand service behaviors that are prepared to wow for guest satisfaction and retention.
* Provides information to executive teams, managers and supervisors, team members, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
* Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
* Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
* Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
* Trains kitchen team members on the fundamentals of good cooking and excellent plate presentations.
* Demonstrates new cooking techniques and equipment to staff.
* Interacts with the banquet and catering department on training regarding food knowledge and menu composition and pricing.
* Observes service behaviors of team members and provides feedback to individuals and or managers.
* Uses enterprise computer systems in daily operations to meet goals and maintain standards.
* Works with food and beverage managers and keep them informed of issues as they arise.
* Analyzes information and evaluates results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
* Manages department controllable expenses including food cost, supplies, uniforms and equipment.
* Participates in the budgeting process for areas of responsibility.
* Analyzes member survey results and regular member/guest feedback. Partners with management to identify opportunities for improvement to be addressed with effective training solutions.
* Exemplifies the desired culture and philosophies of the organization.
* Demonstrates Desert Diamond Casino "On Brand" attitude towards team members & guest at all times.
* Displays, supports and reinforces Desert Diamond Casino’s Spirit of Service Standards.
* Models the company standards and lead by example.
* Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or GED required, culinary degree preferred. 10 years’ experience working in food operations, but not limited to fine and casual dining, buffets, production, purchasing, training, menu development, and administration; 5 of the 10 years must be at the Executive Chef level; or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Must be able to obtain Food handler card. Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, background investigation, tips certification, obtain and maintain gaming license and to include the following:
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications:
* Ability to provide vision, leadership and direction and to multiple venues with an array of styles and requirements.
* Skilled in managing a diverse and demanding multi-lingual workforce.
* Knowledge of maintenance and care of culinary facilities, equipment, supplies, and materials.
* Knowledge of scheduling techniques and ability to apply them across multiple venues to control labor costs.
* Skilled at food presentation and decorative food displays.
* Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
* Advanced knowledge of food preparation and presentation methods, techniques, and quality standards.
* Knowledge of cost controls in food and labor, and ability to apply them in daily practice.
* Ability to oversee, mentor and develop chefs in a variety of venues.
* Ability to develop menus that are flavorful, well presented, and cost effective, utilizing a variety of cuisines and techniques.
* Ability to create menus to match themes and guest special requests.
* Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
* Ability to lead and train team members at all levels.
* Ability to understand and interpret profit and loss statements.
* Ability to maintain open and positive two way communication with food and beverage management and other departments.
* Ability to conduct effective interviews and work within established procedures to hire and retain staff.
* Ability to interact with vendors and suppliers, and in conjunction with purchasing to source the best possible product at the best prices for all aspects of food and beverage operations.
* Ability to monitor and/or maintain quality control and safety standards.
* Ability to communicate effectively in the English language, both verbally and in writing with staff and the general public.
* Ability to work in a busy, fast paced work environment and to perform in a professional appearance and manner.
* Ability to work well under pressure, making decisions in high stress situations while maintaining a professional demeanor.
* Intermediate to advanced computer skills, good working knowledge of Microsoft office.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member regularly is required to stand for extended periods of time; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The team member occasionally is required to sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The team member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work is generally performed in the Casino’s kitchen area with exposure to heat, fumes and steam and Casino setting with exposure to secondhand smoke and a high noise level. Evening, graveyard, holiday and/or weekend work are required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.