Director of Internal Audit
|Starting Pay|| |
|Employment Status|| |
The Director of Internal Audit reports to the Tohono O'odham Gaming Enterprise (T.O.G.E) Management Board. The Director of Internal Audit supervises and coaches the audit staff in planning, overseeing, and executing internal audits of TOGE operations. The Director of Internal Audit coordinates the Internal Audit Departments risk and internal control assessment process, and educates T.O.G.E Management on risk identification and appropriate internal control framework. The Director of Internal Audit acts as a liaison regarding regulatory compliance-related audit activities with the Tohono O'odham Gaming Office, National Indian Gaming Commission, Arizona Department of Gaming, and independent public accountants.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinates the Internal Audit Departments risk and control review process by performing control self-assessment workshops, providing training and support on the use of the audit software and other tools, and educating management on risk identification and the internal control framework process.
- Ensures TOGE compliance with all internal audit-related requirements of the National Indian Gaming Commission, Tohono O'odham Gaming Office minimum internal control standards (MICS), State of Arizona Gaming Compact requirements, and other applicable regulations.
- Provides timely and accurate completion of assigned audit work in a manner consistent with the Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing, along with the professional standards of conduct of the Institute of Internal Auditors. Essential Duties & Responsibilities: (cont.)
- Assists in supervising ongoing audits, identifying critical control issues, and recommending corrective actions.
- Oversees and assists in planning the scope of each audit project as well as the nature, timing and extent of audit work that will be performed.
- Supervises the work of the Staff Auditors (or other staff as assigned) as it relates to the assigned audit in accordance with professional standards.
- Supervises and coaches audit staff, ensuring assignments are adequately planned in advance and performed in accordance with Internal Audits standards.
- Provides critical review and edits to the staffs draft audit reports (and other correspondences) to ensure clarity, conciseness, and comprehensibility.
- Identifies root causes of operational and accounting-related problems and effectively discusses issues and solutions with senior management.
- Prepares audit reports in good form, with recommendations, appraisals, or analyses that will assist the T.O.G.E managers with the proper discharge of their responsibilities.
- Ensures that audit reports clearly communicate risks and key audit issues from a senior management and Management Board perspective.
- Reviews and reports to the Management Board the current status of outstanding audit findings from internal and external audits and regulatory compliance examinations.
- Provides assistance and information to the external auditors to ensure a timely and efficient completion of their audit and examination.
- Develops and maintains effective interpersonal relationships with T.O.G.E staff and management to ensure timely resolution of audit issues and findings.
- Ensures timely and adequate two-way communication before, during, and after each audit project to ensure mutual understanding with T.O.G.E management of audit scope, process and results.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in Accounting, Finance or related field required. Certified Public Accountant certification required. Certified Internal Auditor, and/or Certified Fraud Examiner certification preferred. Seven (7) or more years experience with internal controls, risk assessments, business process and operational auditing required.
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications:
- Knowledge of business English, proper spelling, grammar, punctuation, and basic arithmetic.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language, both verbally and in writing with staff and the general public.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds and with co-workers at all levels.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to create and present effective speeches and presentations.
- Ability to analyze situations and adopt appropriate courses of action.
- Ability to work independently and meet strict time lines.
- Ability to make solid decisions and exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to be persuasive and tactful in controversial situations.
- Ability to demonstrate excellence in everything, and continually seek improvement in results.
- Ability to interpret applicable federal, state, county, and local laws, regulations, and requirements.
- Skill in operating business computers and office machines, including in a Windows environment, specifically Word, Excel, Access, presentation software (such as PowerPoint), and PC-based computerized accounting software.
- Skill in preparing, reviewing, and analyzing operational and financial reports.
- Skill in providing leadership to, supervising, training, and evaluating assigned staff.
- Skill in analyzing problems, projecting consequences, identifying solutions, and implementing recommendations.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly is required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee occasionally is required to stand; walk; and reach with hands and arms.
Evening, graveyard, holiday and/or weekend work may be required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required. Work is generally performed in an office setting with a moderate noise level. Some work is performed in a Casino setting with exposure to second-hand smoke and a high noise level. Evening, graveyard, holiday and/or weekend work may be required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.