Baker (West Valley)
|Starting Pay|| |
|Employment Status|| |
Under the direct supervision of the Pastry Sous Chef. This position entails prepping and cooking bakery items, placing stock in proper storage areas, cleaning and maintaining work areas and kitchens, and overall bakery production for all Food & Beverage venues. Works efficiently in a team based environment and must follow Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise (TOGE) internal controls, consistently.
This list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only of the tasks performed by this position and is not all-inclusive.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepares a variety of baked goods, breads, and doughs according to the menu and demand of the business.
- Uses or learns proper knife skills, baking and pastry techniques, methods, and terminology.
- Reads, understands and follows standardized recipes when preparing bakery and pastry items for all venues and outlets.
- Understands and follows through with all assigned tasks.
- Maintains and communicates with Pastry Sous Chef the foods/products needed to ensure safe par levels and proper stock levels.
- Knowledge of the laws and regulations governing Food & Beverage. Ensures that all Tribal, City, State and Federal Health/Food Safety codes are upheld.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean, organized and sanitized work area all while following all TOGE, tribal, City, State and Federal health/food safety regulations and codes.
- Responsible for making sure that all areas of their assigned venue, outlet, and kitchen are maintained and all assigned duties are completed.
- Responsible for all food/storage areas (refrigeration, freezer, and dry storage) are kept clean, organized, labeled and dated.
- Responsible for ensuring the proper rotation and production levels for all bakery items.
- Responsible for all equipment, tools, floors, workstations and food prep areas are kept clean and organized; as well as free from all clutter, trash and non-approved items.
- Responsible for being able to communicate well with team members while maintaining a positive and professional work environment.
- Ensures that all venues are completely ready to open by designated time set by management.
- Works according to established procedures of the casino.
- Contributes to a team effort and accomplishing all tasks.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Demonstrate Desert Diamond Casino "On Brand" attitude towards team members & guest at all times.
- Displays, supports and reinforces Desert Diamond Casino’s Spirit of Service Standards.
- Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or GED preferred. 1 year of recent experience as a baker or pastry cook or as a baker’s assistant. Must be at least 18 years of age or older. No felony, theft or stealing convictions. Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen, background investigation, obtain and maintain a gaming license and to include the following:
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills, and Certifications:
- Knowledge of kitchen equipment, utensils, tools and machinery.
- Knowledge of safe practices in a kitchen working environment.
- Knowledge of Basic Bread and Pastry methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of basic foods and there uses.
- Knowledge of all food safety regulations.
- Ability to obtain a Food Handlers card.
- Ability to obtain TIPS certification.
- Ability to communicate, read, and write clearly in Basic English.
- Ability to demonstrate outstanding guest service at all times.
- Ability to work in a busy, fast paced environment.
- Ability to perform in a professional appearance and manner.
- Ability to be organized and coordinating task amongst team members.
- Ability to safely use and administer cleaning equipment and supplies.
- Ability to learn culinary methods, techniques and principles.
- Ability to clearly communicate to all levels of management.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member will be required to stand for extended periods of time sometimes in the same place. The job will entail constant communication at all times to communicate where you are and to communicate the task. The job will require you to use your hands constantly for cutting, grabbing, lifting, washing, touching, sensing and holding items. You will be required to walk often at a safe pace. The team member occasionally is required to sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The team member must regularly lift and/or move up to 75 pounds.
Work is generally performed in the casino’s kitchen area with exposure to heat, fumes and steam, second hand smoke, and a high noise level. Evenings, graveyards, holidays and/or weekend work are required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required. Will work in all venues unless specified by Food & Beverage Management.